Saturday 26 April 2014

Slightly disappointing yarn shopping

Yesterday was the Creativ Festival in Toronto.  I was so excited to go and look at yarn and fabric.  I wanted sock yarn and sweater yarn.  I've gone to the Creativ Festival several times in the fall and had such a great time and seen so much inspiration.  The spring show was quite disappointing. There were only 3 yarn stores.  The whole venue was less than 1/2 of the size of the fall show. 

I wanted to get sock yarn and needles for the socks.  I was able to get sock yarn . . . .but no needles.


 I wanted to get sweater yarn for a Burdock Cardigan . . .but none of the stores had enough to make a sweater in a worsted weight yarn.  Overall not really worth going.





The good news: I got sock yarn that I love.  The yarn is Tough Love Sock by Sweet Georgia Yarns.  The yarn is 80% superwash merino and 20% nylon.  Colour: ultraviolet.  And best of all it's hand dyed in Canada

The last pair of socks I knit was over 6 years ago and I never work them.  The cuff was too tight to put on and the the gussets bothered my feet. I threw them out.  I do have a few pairs of socks I knit 10 years ago and I still wear them today but they aren't perfect.  I'll show them to you next week.
 For my birthday I got the book Toe-Up 2-at-a-Time Socks by Melissa Morgan-Oakes for my birthday and I have been waiting since March to get yarn and needles to start casting on for this method.  I think I'm going to like making 2 at the same time, being able to try them on and customize the sizing as I go up and casting off with Jeny's Surprising Stretchy Bind Off , which I've just learned recently and love how stretchy it is.


This is going to make my feet very happy!! Now I just have to wait for my needles to arrive in the mail so I can cast on for my 2-at-a-time toe up socks!  What is your favourite way to knit socks?


No comments:

Post a Comment